Saturday, November 11, 2017

After Thoughts: Twenty Second Sunday after Pentecost - All Saints


Matthew 5:1-12

I’ve been struggling with this week’s writing.  It’s been sort of a triple whammy.  Sunday was All Saints Day, always a day of joyful remembrance and yet sorrowful.  Every time I sing The Church’s One Foundation, that line about “mystic sweet communion with those who’ve gone before” gets me.  The last time I went to church with Dad, he was on oxygen, yet determined to walk up for communion.  We stood side by side with Mom – it is now one of my sweetest memories of those final weeks. 

Then, on that very day, the Gospel for the day hits home.  Most of us, church folk or not, are familiar with the Sermon on the Mount.  All those ‘blessed are” pronouncements, followed by a promise.  “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.”  “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.”  This is the one that made my heart beat a little faster as it was read out loud.  Dad’s advice was always, no matter what the problem – “Be a peacemaker.”  Those words ring in my head, heart, and soul often.  There is no greater commandment than to love God and love the neighbor.  Making peace with one another is a good place to start.

And then, Tuesday came.  November 7.  The day Mom died.  I don’t mean to brag, but I had the absolute best parents a child could have.,.even an adult child.  We lived miles apart, but we Skyped almost daily and talked about things that really mattered.  I miss them both so much and try not to dwell on the past, but some weeks are set aside for just such celebrations.  “When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.” (Kahlil Gibran)

So some weeks, instead of peace like a river, I feel more like Andy Dufresne in The Shawshank Redemption.  Like I’m searching for peace in a river of sewage: grief, loss, anger, despair.  All those little demons that love to latch onto my soul and attempt to move me away from the light.

As I wrestled with this text and how to put my thoughts into words, watching the week slip away, the world threw another curve ball.  A family from my hometown lost a precious, beautiful young daughter in a most horrific way.   It is heartbreaking and unfathomable and senseless.  And yet…there is light.  The father posted:  Hallelujah!  Hallelujah!!  She is going to see the King.

Like Andy Dufresne and all those saints who have gone before us, let us keep going, wading through the dark days, laughing through the bright days, taking our refuge in the Lord.  For what will be has not yet been revealed.


Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.

No comments:

Post a Comment