Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Fifty years on

Fifty years ago this past Sunday, my parents welcomed me into the world and into the family. At 5 lbs 13 oz, sporting a rather odd bump on the side of my head, I was the proverbial face only a mother could love. My dad was a little wary of touching me at first, lest I break. He soon overcame that fear, although he mostly left diaper duty to Mom.

Last night, Jessica gave birth to little Stella June Hendricks, the newest member of the family. Charlie and I savored every moment of the miracle thanks to Kate’s laptop and Skype video. We watched Jess struggle and push and persist – she was a real trooper – and Josh cheering her on. We laughed and cried as the head appeared and then the entire little bundle. In case you’re wondering, she is perfect, a beautiful, 6 lb 14 oz blessing.

We stayed on via Skype after the birth to stretch the moment as long as we could – it’s one of those times when eternity is not enough to take it all in. As I watched Josh holding Stella, peering into her eyes, devouring every feature of her tiny little face, trying to believe it was true, she had finally arrived after all the months of dreaming and planning, I thought of my own dad holding me fifty years ago and me being that little babe in his arms. A father’s love is priceless, and Stella is blessed to have such strong Daddy arms and abundant Daddy love to guide her through her earthly journey.

A few months ago, I saw life end. Last night, I watched life begin. I am humbled, overwhelmed, and amazed at the preciousness of life and the goodness of God. Remember Lester Burnham’s final words in American Beauty?

“… there's so much beauty in the world. Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once, and it's too much, my heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst... And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday.”

My someday is now.

No comments:

Post a Comment