Thursday, November 7, 2013

S for Satisfaction



I am on day five of a Specific Food Plan as defined in The Inside Tract: Your Good Gut Guide to Great Digestive Health (authors Gerard E. Mullin and Kathie Madonna Swift). After several weeks of discomfort, and many more months before that of just not feeling right, I decided to take matters into my own hands and search out solutions.  This book came into my line of sight so I ordered it from Amazon and read with care and delight.  The digestive system is truly amazing.

Dr. Mullin warned that many physicians will recommend more meds for digestive problems such as heartburn, GERD, IBS, – and this is exactly what happened to me.  When the doctor had nothing else to offer but another prescription, I politely declined, quickly exited the office, went straight to the market and embarked on the Specific Foods Plan suggested in the book.  The timing was excellent as Charlie was to be away on a business trip and would not have to suffer through the dietary limitations with me.

Exercising such specificity in what I consume has led me to the S word “satisfaction.” I’m on Day 5 and having great success.  I really thought I’d be starving, but to my great satisfaction, I am satiated.  Satisfaction comes from the Latin satis meaning enough and facere meaning to make or do.  Do enough, make enough.  Such a nice place to be.  And food is a great place to start to understand and appreciate satisfaction. 


That hasn’t been the case with my eating in the past – I would ignore my stomach’s signals about its satisfaction and keep stuffing.  And then suffer later.  I’ve learned a few key things that have really helped me rethink how I use my spoon and fork – and how to listen more carefully to my gut.

Here are some of my favorite bits from the book:

There are more nerve cells in your bowel than in your spine.
Your gut has as many neurotransmitters as your brain (it’s called your second brain)
Chewing is essential to good digestion.
The stomach is about 12 inches long and 6 inches across at its widest point – it can hold about 1 quart of food, but more if pushed. 
Eat until you are about 80% full – this gives the tummy room to work on that food. 
The average adult gut contains approximately 5 pounds of bacteria.
Food preferences are shaped by repeated experiences with food over time – so if something is really good for you, start working it in slowly.  You’ll acquire a taste for it.  Unfortunately, many of us have preferences that have been shaped by over-salted and over-sugared processed foods so there’s some re-training to be done.

Implementing this diet plan has brought me great satisfaction.  My gut feels better, my joints don’t ache, my tummy isn’t bloated, my sleep has improved, and I feel satisfied. It has taken a bit of adjustment and creativity, but the rewards so far are well worth the effort.  Most importantly, it has made me mindful of satisfaction – of realizing when I’ve had enough and stopping there.  It started with food, but it’s manifested into other areas.  And it’s quite refreshing.  In a world that says – don’t ever stop – it’s good to learn that sometimes it is right to stop.  Stop eating when you’re full.  Stop talking when you’ve lost your thread.  Stop worrying about everything.  Stop trying to control everything and everyone.  Stop being busy all the time and just rest.  Stop obsessing.  Stop craving more and more.

Satisfaction – knowing when enough is enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment